Wednesday, December 10, 2008

the story

lately, several people have been asking me the same question. and ive been thinking to myself,

"stephanie... why dont you just post it on your blog so people can find out for themselves??"

genius.

so here it goes:

q: hey stephanie, what made you pursue your passion for portrait photography?
a: well internet, since you asked, its a long but beautiful beautiful story. i guess i would say that it all started when i got my first digital camera. it was this bulky, 3.2 megapixel, canon powershot that i was infatuated with. i used it every second of the day. i was amazed at how this machine functioned and what i could do with it. looking back on it now, i see how very little it actually could do. but that didnt matter. all i wanted to do was take pictures. it started out with things. id go up so close to something, put my camera in macro mode, and just fire off tons of shots of the same thing. it was nuts i tell you. but i loved it. it wasnt until my first mission trip to the dominican republic that i really discovered my love and obsession with portrait photography. i remember being so excited to document my time spent there, but i had no idea how much joy i would take home with me in photographs. while in the dominican, it is always so easy for me to see Gods beautiful creation, mainly in the people there. after falling in love with the kids there, i wanted so desperately to capture them through my camera lens. i would snap shots all day, just of the kids beautiful faces. when i now look back on certain portraits i have taken of the children there, i am overwelmed with their sweet spirits and personalities shining through the images. it was then that i realized my desire to capture the soul with the portraits i shoot. i want to convey personality and spirit in every portrait i take. our expression and body language tell a story of who we are and what we feel, and that is what i want to show with my photographs. i get such a kick out of really seeing a reflection of who my subjects are in my photographs.
ive decided to post some photos from my first dominican trip that i am talking about. these were all taken with that first canon camera i had, and they are still some of my favorite photographs i have ever taken.
so i hope that somewhat answers your question, internet.

2 comments:

Dee said...

And I still use that camera!! I'm a "poor" parent putting kids through college..... Always love looking at your work, you're great! Love you, Mom

Kelsey W said...

im so glad internet asked because i got to learn a little more about you! love the photos :)